If you are a huge fan of the Alaskan Huskies but cannot hold yourself responsible for the big dog, then you might consider owning sqi. They have a wolf’s face and a beautiful husky coat. We will not compare alaskan klee kai vs husky but they are very similar breeds.
We can say it is smaller and more adaptable versions of Alaskan Huskies, but they are companion dogs rather than a working dog.
If you want to know more about Alaska Klee Kai, its history, temperament, personality, and interesting facts have read the article below.
Alaskan Klee Kai History
I is developed by Linda Spurlin in the early 1970s. As its name indicates, this breed is hail from Alaska. Linda Spurlin used different breeds to create this adorable creature. Firstly she breeds Alaskan huskies and Siberian huskies; then, to obtain a smaller size, she included American Eskimo and schipperke.
The American Kennel Club does not recognize this breed, but in 1997 it is recognized by the United Kennel Club. The American Rare Breeds Association has also registered Alaska Klee Kai because this breed is very rare, with only about 700 dogs.
Alaskan Klee Kai Personality
It is a family dogs that don’t like to socialize with strangers. They only select one or a few people to give their full attention and love. If you are looking for a sociable dog, this breed is not for you. Alaskan Klee Kais are playful, intelligent, high-energy dogs, but not hyperactive. This breed is highly trainable and can easily learn the basic commands because they are highly motivated by food and eager to please.
They love to play tricks on their owner and excel in the sport of agility. They are escape artists because of their intelligence (in case they are not happy). They need a moderate level of exercise. If their exercise needs are neglected, then they may become an anxious dog, bored, and destructive.
Alaskan Klee Kai Temperament
When they find suspicious strangers or pets, they howl and bark; this makes them a good watchdog. Alaskan Klee Kai puppy is friendly to his human family but distant and cautious with other people.
This behavior and shyness towards people are considered undesirable. It can be reduced by neutering and spaying the dog. It is well adapted to other dogs and children, but pets smaller than his size may not be suitable due to their high prey drive.
Alaskan Klee Kai Breed Standards
- Due to the double coat of hair, Alaskan Klee Kai sheds very little, and their grooming requirements are minimal. They are fastidious: they keep themselves clean like cats.
- If left it alone, they suffer from separation anxiety and express themselves aloud by howling and whining.
- This breed is not suitable for apartment residents because they need a fenced outside area to play and run.
- It is a good choice as a therapy and service dog because they cannot easily be distracted by strangers.
- It is love to play outside even in cold weather due to the double-layer coat that protects them from cold weather.
- Small Dog size 15-17 inches inches tall and weighs 22 pounds as an average.
- Price between 1500$ – 3000$ as a puppy purebred.
- It is not hypoallergenic; it has a thick fur coat and shed consistently